We are happy to announce a new home for Copper Peak Logistics in St. Louis, MO! Our new 55,000 sq. ft. facility, dubbed “Copper Peak Research,” will be a key component in our plans to help winery and alcohol beverage clients keep up with growing customer demand and expectations. This facility will give them a strategic advantage in getting packages into customers’ hands quickly, with a keen focus on both velocity and customization of orders.
Milton Cornwell, COO of CPL, explains: “The move to our new home was in the planning stages for some time. With the unprecedented increase in ecommerce orders this past summer, it just made sense to push this project forward. We started shipping from the Research location in early October, just in time for peak season. Thanks to a great staff and lots of pre-planning, everything has been moving forward in an incredibly positive way. We couldn’t be happier with our new home.”
The new facility is, in fact, a building CPL occupied when it first got started in the wine DTC fulfillment space in 2007. At that time, it was the first wine fulfillment company to offer a true bifurcated shipping strategy. Since then, this concept has become more mainstream for wine order fulfillment. Our history with the building gave us great insight into how to optimize our workflows to achieve the best performance, removing guesswork from our infrastructure build-out. We now have capacity that is four-times greater than before.
Of equal importance was the opportunity to retain the existing staff and build upon that foundation. The new Research team is comprised of veterans that combined have over 30 years experience in the wine fulfillment industry. There is no replacement for that type of experience.
Our Midwest Location is a Benefit for Everyone
The old adage – “it’s all about location, location, location” – certainly applies to DTC shipping. St. Louis is arguably one of the best central locations for shipping orders and, when combined with a West Coast footprint, our clients can achieve numerous competitive advantages. For example, they can:
- Offer the kind of quick and convenient delivery that consumers expect in the age of Amazon.
- Rest easy knowing orders can reach most wine consumers within 2 days. (Little known fact – St. Louis is the closest major city to the population center of the US.)
- Provide additional summer shipping options for next day air and ice shippers.
- Ensure business continuity in the face of whatever might come. (Having inventory in multiple locations can be beneficial when fires or earthquakes hit the Northern California wine country.)
- Spread out order volume. (As we have seen with pandemic related ecommerce volume, one can not diminish the importance of spreading out order volume to mitigate small parcel carrier congestion coming out of the Northern California wine market.)
- Reduce the overall carbon footprint for DTC shipping, in some cases.
The New Copper Peak Research: Just the Right Fit
With an eye to better serving our clientele today and far into the future, we decided that something warm and familiar would work best for our new home. Copper Peak Research lets us offer our clients:
- A Great Team. Simply stated, we value our employees more than anything else. The St. Louis staff running our new facility are seasoned veterans in DTC wine shipping.
- A Dedicated Space. Our facility is a 55,000 sq. ft. climate-controlled warehouse dedicated to wine fulfillment and logistics.
- Reduced Risk. From the start we have had redundant fiber connections, back-up power supply on-site, and high-end security systems both inside and outside. We do our best to eliminate any interruptions to your business!
- A Prime Location. Our location is close to all major carrier hubs and the airport, facilitating late in day pick-ups.
- A Wine-Friendly State. Missouri is a wine friendly state, with legislation reciprocal to other states. In fact, Missouri has historically been one of the largest wine-producing states in the U.S.
Want to Learn More?
If you are interested in learning more about our St. Louis or American Canyon facility, please reach out. We are always available to assist!